Monday, August 24, 2015

Nova-1 Reconfig and ready for "return to flight"

I bought these a while back (in my quest for taller and better landing gear). Since I had to pull the gimbal and camera off for repairs, I thought that now might be a good time to try them.

The Quanum Nova Retracts are 193 grams and 160mm tall. I control them with FrSky Channel-13 and SA-Switch on Taranis. For reference, stock white-plastic landing gear was 90 grams.


Be sure that 2 inner screws don't protrude inside and scratch battery.


For anyone installing modded landing gear (from other quads) it might help to examine how HobbyKing (for the Nova Retracts) used the box-like or U-shaped channel pieces to build a solid and flat mounting area (on the unusually shaped bolting/mounting area).

Quad Recalibrations:
As previously posted, the gyro calibration was knocked out-of-wack. I recalibrated in normal fashion and bench testing (like in Mission-Planner's HUD) reveals its working properly again (good to see gyro wasn't permanently damaged). I also recalibrated compass for good measure (-34, -208, 127).

Retracts Notes (updated 9-7-2015):
They worked fine for initial flights. Later (on bench) the left retract failed to lower ONCE. Pilots in HobbyKing reviews said it is likely end-point micro-switches. Strange because these types of micro-switches are usually rated at "thousands of clicks". I'm hoping the switch just got over-actuated and the plastic tip got slightly stuck inside the switch-case (once, maybe the last time it was "touched"). Or, maybe not pressed hard-enough once. I think we have all had a run-in with a flakey switch at one-time-or-the-other. Sometimes, more actuations loosen-up the switch and they get more reliable.

While extended, through side-slot, I applied a rice-grain sized dab of  (dielectric) Automotive Silicone Bulb Grease to the tip of the switch. I let some also get on screw-drive and internal mechanism. Lowered retracts and repeated for other end. Tested 10 times with no incorrect operation. I hope that fixes it and there are no surprises later (especially at flying field).

5 comments:

  1. I have the same version hardware except for my transmitter is a stock one. I have the same landing gear connected directly to either S1 or S2 pins and controlled by AUX1 and AUX2 respectively. The problem is that it doesn't work at all now. At first it was working somehow but eventually it stops. I've got a second set of gear but it's all the same. I like gear's sturdy design and look but I'm very frustrated because I can"t get it work. Do have any suggestions on what can it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are going to have to check connectors and/or open them and see what it going on. While testing on bench, my left one failed to go back down. Only once but now has hint of un-reliability. Has worked fine since. I'm thinking it must be electrical and/or control problem. However, it is nice they lock down (even when un-powered).

      Delete
  2. I've tried different connections with no luck - with and without Y-cable, connecting both of them at once or one by one. Took apart a gear box, checked soldering on inside control board. I'm afraid it might be signal problem from the receiver or low voltage or micro switch failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken mine apart yet, but pilots in HobbyKing reviews are talking about sticking end-point micro-switches. That would be consistent with my one single random failure.

      Delete
    2. This blog post had been updated with my maintenance procedures. I will report even one intermittent future failure.

      Delete

The stupid spammers have now forced me to approve each Comment before it appears (but I am usually pretty quick about it).