Thursday, May 28, 2015

9 Month Nova-Quad and Pilot Summary

It's been an interesting ride so far.

I had been out of RC-hobby for so long, things had changed (electrics weren't really popular back then) . I didn't even own a 2.4ghz radio-set. My piloting skills were pretty rusty and I had never flown a hobby-class helicopter before.

Between starting with smaller WLT-v262 (as a quad outdoor flight trainer) and then buying the pre-built Nova, I think it worked out rather well. But even after buying the Quanum Nova PnF model, there was a bit of a learning curve ... getting up to speed with:
  • Electric quadcopter hardware (ESCs, Flight-Controllers, etc.)
  • APM hardware in general (Arduino-based FC, GPS, compass, etc.)
  • Advanced APM hardware tech like Telemetry
  • MissionPlanner and DroidPlanner software
  • Quadcopter cameras and gimbals
  • FrSky Taranis and OpenTX
  • Helicopter piloting skills (so you don't crash :)
By having it pre-built, it allowed me to focus my attention on other facets of the hobby while starting-out. There is also a Nova/ CX20 model that comes with a (very) entry level radio pre-installed.

While the stock uBlox GPS-Module works acceptably in clear-sky weather ... in over-cast clouds or back-yards (close trees blocking quad's view-angle to satellites) ... it doesn't work so good. It ends-up providing low satellite detection and a high HDOP (poor GPS signal quality). Aware of it now and not much of a problem since I only fly in "nicer weather (party-cloudy or better) and I also use DroidPlanner (on my Android tablet) to monitor GPS-signal in real-time.

The out-of-control crash-landing into the neighbor's tree last October was a major set-back. Final cause of crash was determined to be ... "attempted RTC (Return-To-China) fly-away" due to flakey GPS (RTL/ Fail-Safe failure). I've had my share of hardware problems involving GPS (turned-out to be bad/flakey cables). Also, with vibrations causing Wobble-Of-Death (WoD). All that is corrected now, and the Nova has proven to be a dependable aircraft in recent flights over the last months.

The new camera gimbal upgrade is great. So great in fact that I know that I always want at least one multi-rotor aircraft running a good camera on a gimbal. The problem is that the gimbal's extra 185-grams seems to have put the Nova close to it's payload weight limit. It is no longer a nimble quad that can be flown close to ground and obstacles. It's more like an aircraft that you carefully fly up to a safe altitude and use for Aerial Photography (AP). In it's new weight class, the quad seems to be under-powered. This also causes it to be more susceptible to the forces of high winds.

To be perfectly honest, I think some of the problem might also be my (slowly advancing) helicopter piloting skills. I simply don't get that much "stick-time" to practice (I need to resolve that if I want to progress). Currently, I still rely on a powerful and nimble aircraft to get me out of hairy situations. I still have a fairly constant fear of crashing and of a fly-away (due to GPS failure). The extra weight has definitely made it less responsive. Hopefully, I can tune some of that away.

Anyway, I still love this hobby. For me, it's always been about the hardware building, electronics integration, programming config, and the piloting challenge of RC-Aircraft (now robotic ones).

It is possible to stay safe and push-your-limits at the same time. I think that is part of the fun and excitement of the hobby.

The Quanum Nova (Cheerson CX-20 clone) has proven to be a good aircraft and valuable introduction into the world of RC multi-rotors and ArduCopter for me. Sure, it's only a little 350-class quad and it's (nice looking) plastic body is kind-of fragile (if you crash-land), but I still like having it in my "hanger". It is GPS capable and it's been a good model in my progression through the hobby.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog. I have to replace my cx20 GPS because of a crash, I ordered a new stock GPS and I was wondering if there are any diagrams out there to show where the GPS plugs into the stock flight controler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. See these. Just be sure you don't get VCC power pins connected wrong ever.

      http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2014/12/repairing-gps.html

      http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2015/01/nova-rebuild-apm-internal-component.html

      Delete
    2. Awesome, I had the GPS unplugged from the fc and when I reinstalled it I must have put it in backwards, that's why I had to order a new one. It doesn't look like any damage was done to the fc I think the GPS was the only thing that got fried.

      Delete

The stupid spammers have now forced me to approve each Comment before it appears (but I am usually pretty quick about it).