Thursday, January 15, 2015

Nova Rebuild - APM & Radio Setup (Winter 2015)

This is the other half of the rebuild procedure.

The first time MP was installed, the required Arduino USB drivers should have installed in Windows.Updated MissionPlanner to version 1.3.17 Build 1.1.5472.17896 via online updater. After it finished, closed and restarted it.

Be sure props are removed. Everything should be connected (even Compass). Connected Nova LiPo and then connect USB cable to laptop. After Windows "USB device detection chime" ... clicked Connect in top right-hand corner.

MissionPlanner/Config-Tuning/Full Parameter List/ . Clicked Save button to backup current Parameters. Took screen-shots of Basic and Extended Tuning screens. I use WinMerge to compare parameter files. Remember that calibration values are saved along with other parameters (so those fields are always a little different).

MissionPlanner/Config-Tuning/GeoFence/ . Disabled since I have no GPS inside house. Clicked Write Parameters. In HUD, getting occasional "PreArm: Bad GPS Position" messages which is normal at this time. Remember that if GeoFence is enabled, it will not Arm motors (in any mode), so best to Disable it for now.

MissionPlanner/Terminal/ . Click green Connect button next to APM drop-down (towards the left) for special Terminal mode connection.

ArduCopter v3.1.2
FW (firmware): 120

Exterior Red and Green LEDs appear to turn-off while in Terminal mode.

According to forum reports, I have to keep this HK v252_v2.0 FlightController running at stock (special ?) AC-3.1.2 because I'm using Telemetry from connector soldered into proper PCB pads.  This is why (below) we can only load default parameters from a file. Do not do anything that loads a different firmware. This tweaked ArduCopter version is NOT available for download anywhere.

Click "Log Download" button. Download and then delete any available logs. A good diagnostic set of Logs to have turned on is: ATTITUDE_MED GPS PM CTUN NTUN RCIN IMU CMD CURRENT RCOUT COMPASS.



The above numbers are where each Motor/ESC-Set should be connected at FlightController (M1-4). There are ClockWise and CounterClockWise propellers, and must be installed right-side-up (but don't install them yet).

In Terminal, you can type "test", then "motors". They should all spin in their proper CW & CCW directions (as indicated on the arms themselves) and should all sound about the same. It will start at Motor#1 [M1] (aka Forward-Starboard Motor) but instead of following the true X4 diagonal-like M# pattern, it will instead ... proceed Clockwise around quad (so it's test order is M1, M4, M2, M3).

You can type Exit and Help to navigate menu structure. Some other good tests are baro (barometer) and ins (gyro/ accelerometer). Move quad and watch values change. They also preform a calibration test at the beginning that likely would not pass if module is bad. When finished in Terminal, click Disconnect button in top right.

Start Full/Clean Setup

Connected Nova LiPo and then connect USB cable to laptop. After Windows "USB device detection chime" ... clicked Connect in top right-hand corner.

MissionPlanner/Config-Tuning/Full Parameter List/ . Since this is a PnF model, there is no telling what parameters and PIDs were pre-loaded in FC (or if they were even set or checked). NO NOT run Setup Wizard. Clicked Load button to load Factory Defaults parameter file (must have been previously saved or downloaded from trusted source). Since I am running AC3.1.2, that's the file I got. Click Write Params button and give it a minute or so for params to be saved to FC. Click back to main HUD screen. Notice we are doing this first, before any Nova calibrations.

If you need to load Default Parameters for a newer version of ArduCopter for which an existing parameter file does not exist, you can Default them yourself ... on Full Parameters List with "Reset to Default" button in the right column.

Click MP's "Disconnect" button. Power-Cycle LiPo battery power on Nova (reboot FC) via XT60 connector. Reconnect USB cable, re-connect MP ... the RX, FC, and GPS should all be lit and/or flashing.
MissionPlanner/Config-Tuning/Full Parameter List/ . Click Save button to backup current Parameters as new file. As you favorably progress, save your params to a file.

Turn on radio TX and select proper model number (ie "Model-1"). The 2.4ghz TX radio itself (in my case FrSky Taranis) should be calibrated by this point (if required ... only done on radio TX itself). If not already, the TX should be properly Binding to RX inside Nova quad by now. The radio's trims should be centered aka "at neutral".

Initial Setup / Mandatory Hardware / Frame Type
-   Be sure Type: X-Y6A is selected

Initial Setup / Mandatory Hardware / Radio Calibration
-   Use this PC screen to observe. Make the changes on radio itself (when checking or programming these).
Reassignable Channels on Taranis TX Radio: Channels 1-5 working test setup
MIXER (5/64 assigned) - (Screen 6/13)
1. AIL 100 0-8 (Aileron - Roll)
2. ELE -100 0-8 (Elevator- Pitch)
3. THR 100 0-8 (Throttle - Power)
4. RUD 100 0-8 (Rudder - Yaw)
5. SA 100 0-8 Switch_A (Flight Modes 1-3)

Depending on the orientation of the signal only cables, your main MIXER map might be slightly different.

Now, click on "Calibrate Radio" button and follow directions. It will say "Completed" on a green button when finished. The 4 basic channels should now be setup properly. Note, when you pull back on Elev/Pitch, the green-bar should go up.

Flight Modes Quick Setup (3 main ones on one switch)
Initial Setup / Mandatory Hardware / Flight Modes
Flight Mode 1 - Loiter
Flight Mode 4 - Stabilize
Flight Mode 6 - Altitude Hold
I set as above and then clicked "Save Modes" button. You can double-check it by using the SA switch on Taranis TX. The 5th "Flight Mode Channel" should now also be setup properly.

MissionPlanner / Initial Setup / Mandatory Hardware / Compass
Don't change or disturb these, but they should be
Settings: Enable, AutoDec, Orientation = Manual (Rotation_None)
Also, in Full Parameters COMPASS_EXTERNAL,0 is set (trust me, it works in this APM_v252_v2.0 FC). DKemXR's explanation is "the stock FC does not have an on-board compass (some APM FC's do) so the "external" one is electrically in the same place as the "internal" one would be".


Since I have no GPS fix (indoors) for FC to use for looking up Magnetic Declination, look it up at website, and enter it Manually.
Live-Calibrate Compass (point each of 6 sides straight toward ground, and slowly spin around a couple of times - aka. Compass Dance). I just hold mine and spin-around slowly (CW and then once CCW), but here is a similar way using a chair. Just remember to do all 6 sides, including top. It will draw 6 circles on the globe. It will beep and finish about the time you complete all 6 sides. My current offsets are -100, 17, 16 and are within acceptable limits.
Set Auto Dec back on. As long as you have GPS Fix at flying field (where-ever that might be), the Magnetic Declination will be looked-up from compressed file-table stored inside FC memory.
If you have Telemery radios, you can use them for this step.

MissionPlanner / Initial Setup / Mandatory Hardware / Accelerometer Calibration.
Use level table and perpendicular angles. Prop it up or hold very still when clicking the button on each step. Complete each step before MP times-out and auto-advances (if it does, you have to start over).

On the main MP screen (hud), be sure quad is level, the Artificial Horizon is responding properly (remember that it will look like a flight simulator in hud). Also, that the Compass points in the proper direction (even when pitching up/down).

ESCs calibrated (All at Once) in case end-points changed (center Trims first). It's a good idea to do this at least once, especially if you have been working on ESCs or motors. I also recommend re-doing it if Radio has been re-calibrated (RC stick end-points have likely changed).

FailSafe doesn't need to be changed but should be tested (see previous posts).

In MissionPlanner/Config & Tuning/Extended Tuning ... give Opt-7 a function (I set to SuperSimple Mode). CH-7 is already assigned to the proper 3-Position switch at Taranis. In MissionPlanner, changed CH-7 to be Super-Simple Mode. Middle position (or first click) ends up being Simple-Mode (non-GPS but directional) and Down should be Super-Simple-Mode (GPS required but even works "behind" pilot).

So far, I've successfully tested Simple-Mode with Stabilize and Alt-Hold (switching it on, on-the-fly). I also used it once when Nova was far away and I lost orientation. When bench testing radio, there is no indication in MissionPlanner or DroidPlanner that S-M or S-S-M is engaged. Even though it's just a Mode-Modifier, I find it strange that the only way to know if it's setup properly is to fly quad and see what happens (especially for a Mode that changes what the sticks do).

I also set Opt-8 (I set to RTL). I like having that on it's own (emergency) switch.

Click Write Params button. Don't change anything else on this screen unless you really know what you are doing. In Taranis (Mixer), assign both to their own dedicated switches (if not already). Check all Modes and sticks on FailSafe screen.

Program the GeoFence parameters, but I'll probably leave it Disabled for now.
Finally, change these modified Parameters, and then Write them.
Save Parameter file as final backup.
  • Install rest of screws.
  • Balance and then install props (double check CW and CCW).
  • Apply a little cellophane tape to compass puck cover.
  • Charge all batteries (Radio, Nova LiPos, Mobius cam, DroidPlanner tablet).
  • Carefully, do low-throttle "Hold by Landing-Gear Test" to check that no sticks are reversed.
  • Go fly. Be safe and have fun.
Edit: The results are here . Also, see posts about recent flights.

31 comments:

  1. Hi

    Great Guide!!!

    What a relief.

    Everything working fine.

    My only problem.

    I can`t use the compass calibration via TX anymore.
    (DX6 Mode 2 Gas down,Right stick right corner)

    Do you have a clou how to fix that?

    thanks,regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Since you have upgraded radio, drop by RCGroups if you want.

      http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2261997

      Delete
  2. I only calibrate (compass and others) initiated or started from MissionPlanner.

    Works great with a long USB cord or I use 915mhz Telemetry radios now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. In first place, let me tell you...Thank you very much for your blog!! It is very useful!!
    I have a problem and I´m desperate. I´ve lost my flight modes. I go to mission planner I set up the flight modes and click on save...everything it is ok....but the modes aren't in the quad. So I´ve read your post (thank you very much again!!) and I´ve installed from the new parameters that you link in your post and everything it is ok again...but if I try my new flight modes in the HUD screen...the don´t appear again.
    What could the problem be?

    Thank you very much for your help again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you calibrate the radio, can you see the levels change drastically as you test all the switches and the various combinations?

      Delete
  4. Yes, the bars change and I use these values to the New flght modes. But when I switch it they don't appear in the hud screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how that is even possible. Do you have CH-5 on FlightController connected to CH-5 on Radio Receiver?

      Delete
  5. Ok. I´ve just revised my connection.... In mission planner when I calibrate the radio and I switch the levers move in the bar of "Radio7" no in the bar of "Radio 5" although I configure the flight modes with the values of "Radio7". Is this ok?
    Secondly, in my quad I´ve just revised too the connections. In the flight controller I have connected the first three pin on flight modes (first pin wire black, second pin with the red wire, third pin with white wire, fourth with no connection and these wires go to the receptor in pin label like"1" (it is the fifth pin connection in the receptor. (first is label like "A", second is label "E", trith is "T" fourth is "R", fifth is "1" at this are connected)
    Are these connections correct?

    Thank you very much for your help again!!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I follow your description. There are a couple of different ways: Watch HobbyKing video and use connection method #2. Or use this chart:

      http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2014/07/frsky-x8r-connection-to-quanum-nova-quad.html

      Delete
  6. Hello. You are my idol!!!! thank you!!! I´ve checked the connection and I've noticed that the pin of channel 5 was badly connected!!!! Now I have again the flight modes thank to you!!!! Thank you very much for your amability and for your time!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again. I don´t want to take up too much time of your time, but could you recommend me a OSD system not too expensive?
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, by mistake MP installed a new firmware on my FC how can I download and install thw correct one. By now I've tried several until comms were back online.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What version do you want to load? Are you using Telemetry 915/433 Radios or OSD?

      Delete
  9. Hi Tesla, brilliant blog. So, I'm learning about CX on your blog and i make a lot of your steps. I'm using the Zeal gel for reduce vibrations on FC. I moved the CIRCOMM module on top of the proof foe better and fast GPS signal (Works fine). So, actually I have the 3.2 custom firmware that enables the UART port for telemetry. I'm using the AUX2 pot as a CH7 to run "AutoTune". But when I run "AutoTune" procedure I've a flip on my CX20. What do you think about it? I need to rebuild and recalibrate all of things again? Any suggestions, please? I compare the parameters with another ones default files and i see differences but i don't know witch the best option for CX-20. Thanks Tesla! Here latest post with my logs and parameters: http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=11916&start=20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still running (factory-custom-uart) supplied AC 3.1.2 . I works fine for me and I like having Terminal available. To me, it seems better matched to limited APM252 processing power. I'm happy without Pos-Hold or new algorithms. Default parameters work fine for me. I like Auto-TRIM, but I've never had a reason to run AutoTune. I've learnt not to fix what is not broken ... I would rather just mod and fly it.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. With 3.1.2 factory firmware I can connect telemetry on UART port, right? Is from 3.1.5 that disable that port, yes? Where I find these firmwares? factory and customs? Thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you over-write Factory-Shipped Custom-Uart version of v3.1.2, you CAN NOT ever reload it. You can install generic v3.1.2 or 3.1.5 from MissionPlanner, but your Telemetry Uart Port will not work. Next lowest version that supports Uart Telemetry is Custom Compiled (with Cheerson APM-252 Uart Fix) v3.2 from here:
      http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9534&p=22723#p28709

      Delete
  11. Tesla! So, this is my problem! I posted on "rcgroups" my telemetry problem with the radios! That's it! I ordered other telemetry kit because I believe that telemetry kit comes with some error. OMG! The downgrade disable the UART port, really? We are sure, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... we are sure. Follow the link above ... it explains the whole thing.

      Delete
  12. Maybe ... probably, but why? I can't really say for sure because I don't have one. My Nova was purchased PnF (no radio).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you can help. I was about 300 ft up and my cx20 just died in mid-air and smashed into the ground. So I'm replacing 2 motors, 2 ESCs, I decided to upgrade the compass and gps to a combo unit so I can get the GPS away from other electronics.
    The problem I'm having is a total lack of documentation. My FC doesn't even have any markings on the outside. Inside it says APM 252_v5 so at least I know I'm using APM. Your site seems like it will help a lot with the FC, but there's this small plug board that the USB connects to that came completely undone during the crash and I have no idea which pins connect to what. Can you help or post a pic of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it is here:

      http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2015/05/usb-mod-lower-pcb-port-functionality.html

      Delete

  14. Hello Tesla,
    After many hours looking and running half-blind in both eyes : P ,, I am compelled to resort to your blog , I have reinstalled firmware , reset plate , I have even changed engines, but my problem persists, my cx 20 is unable fly to more than 1 meter in height with full trothle , as if he lacked power , esc , apm accelerometer , compass, everything , all is Correctly calibrated , I will leave a link to the video , hopefully, you can help ,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tljrn4px8elqxue/20151118_162647.mp4?dl=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched that video. She wants to fly but needs some room. PLEASE go outside.

      Check parameter THR_MAX,1000
      and also calibrate ESCs.

      But if she can fly to 1 meter pretty quickly, she can go higher.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tesla, i was try outside,, still the same, the thr_max its in 1000 , and the escs its calibrated,,,, i don t now whats wrong, in the video ,,,the trohtle stick its in max!!, and just can fly 1 meter,, :( some its bad,,,

      Delete
    3. Are those Stock ESCs? How are you calibrating them?

      What motors are those?

      What battery are you using? ... how many "C"

      Delete
  15. Hello Tesla , actually the quad its fully stock, i was trye to changue motors because cant fly , but same problem,, the motors i was tryed in the video is a emax 2216 835kv but same problem like whit stock motors , the battery used is stock or 4000mha turnigy, im tryed whit 30c & 10c ,,, same problem, the escs its calibrated whit the typical metod , conecting de the quad to the pc and, calibrate whit red&yellow lights, i was reset the apm and installed stock parameters, but the problem is here,, now only installed de osd and 3dr power module, 2 weeks ago its running wery well, suddently appears this problem and,,, hard to find the problem, thanks Tesla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there need some help with my cx20, everytime i put it into RTH it just go in circles and totally out of control. only manual mode is working. i already upgraded it's gps but nothing has changed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Arming in Loiter so that you only get a solid green LED if your HDOP is good enough (usually 2.0).

      http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2015/02/quanum-nova-cx-20-with-apm-fc-pilot-tips.html

      Also, your Compass must be working and properly calibrated. Circling or "toilet-bowling" sounds like compass trouble to me.

      Delete

The stupid spammers have now forced me to approve each Comment before it appears (but I am usually pretty quick about it).