Monday, July 7, 2014

Quanum Nova - GPS Quadcopter



New project, new blog. After researching the forum threads about 350-size quad-copters, this is the one I ordered. My thinking is the magic is in the Flight-Controller. The initial reviews for Summer-2014 are favorable. I have some prior RC gas-plane experience, but this will be my first hobby-grade copter. Getting back into RC Aircraft after taking a break.

Here is the link to get the Quanum Nova - GPS Quadcopter for $269 USD with Free Shipping (at least it was when I ordered). IMO, this is the best DJI Phantom clone ... direct from it's manufacturer in Hong Kong.

If you need a suitable radio, they also have this package. It's Quanum Nova - GPS Quadcopter - RTF with Basic (Mode-2) 2.4ghz RC RadioSet  just requires a common helicopter LiPo battery. It's $299 USD, also with Free Shipping. Most pilots (at least in the USA) fly Mode-2.

The Quanum Nova is a "hobby-grade" Radio-Controlled Quadcopter with GPS ReturnToHome (Emergency RTH/RTL). Open-Source 3D-Robotics APM Flight-Controller with Autonomous robotic drone capability. Manual RC quadcopter flight and FPV capable. Check out this video ( this page is a 3rd model  ... the RTF with battery). Here is another introduction HobbyKing video describing the features.

I paid with PayPal. Quanum Nova ships fast if ordering In-Stock model. Tracking reveals it's traveling fast across the planet.

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking through your blog for any info on how to stop the handset beeping so much, any chance you can help please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never owned or held a stock-white radio.

      Delete
  2. I love the design but the fact that it uses APM flight controller, makes me a bit suspicious... I mean, you do get all the nice features like follow me, return to home, point of interest and even autonomous flight with pre-set waypoints, but I have heard so many stories of fly-aways, exactly with this FC... For security, and perhaps a more stable flight, I would suggest the DJI's Naza M Lite or V2, which you can upgrade your drone with and make sure your compass doesn't go all nuts on you when you least expect it... But that's me, doesn't mean I am totally right, right? :) Anyway, for those who are interested in finding out more about FCs, here is an article I can recommend: http://mydronelab.com/accessories/quadcopter-flight-controller.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hear about DJI Fly-Aways too, so no flight-controller is immune to that. Especially, if drone is not setup or calibrated properly (by the pilot). Picking your Flight-Controller is an important decision. I think of APM/PixHawk as more "open-source", while DJI is closed source. Choose wisely.

      Delete

The stupid spammers have now forced me to approve each Comment before it appears (but I am usually pretty quick about it).